The Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa is ideally located in the heart of Edinburgh’s financial and tourist area and is one of Scotland's leading 5 star hotels. As the largest 5 star hotel in the city with 269 bedrooms, we also have the biggest banqueting and meeting facilities with a capacity of up to 500 and One Square Restaurant & Bar. Additionally the hotel operates the award winning One Spa™, one of Europe's premier advanced city spas.
The Hotel Manager will be responsible for overseeing the operation and ensuring we maintain our position as a destination of choice for our guests. Providing a modern version of Scottish luxury our hotel is renowned for its people, great service and being a destination of choice in the city.
The Hotel Manager functions as the strategic business leader of property operations. Areas of responsibility include Front Office, ONE SPA, Housekeeping, Security/Loss Prevention, Engineering/Maintenance, Food and Beverage/Culinary and Event Management. The position works with direct reports (department heads) to develop and implement the operations strategy and ensuring implementation of the brand service strategy and brand initiatives. The position ensuring operations meet the brand’s target customer needs, ensuring employee satisfaction, focuses on growing revenues and maximizes financial performance. The Hotel Manager develops and implements property-wide strategies that deliver products and services to meet or exceed the needs and expectations of our brand’s target guests and our property associates and provides a return on investment for our owners.
Education and Experience
• 2-year degree from an accredited university in Business Administration, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 8 years’ experience in the management operations, sales and marketing, or related professional area.
• 4-year bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 6 years’ experience in the management operations, sales and marketing, or related professional area.
Core Work Activities
Managing Profitability and Departmental Budgets
• Keeps operations team focused on the critical components of operations to drive guest satisfaction and the desired financial results.
• Ensures that all operational areas have an atmosphere that is conducive to the overall guest experience.
• Reviews financial reports and statements to determine how Operations is performing against budget.
• Ensures capital expenditure funds are being used to address the priorities outlined in the service strategy.
• Works with direct reports to determine areas of concern and establishing ways to improve the departments’ financial performance.
• Strives to maintain profit margins without compromising guest or employee satisfaction.
• Identifies and analyzes operational challenges and facilitates the development of solutions to prevent reoccurrence.
• Coaches and supports operations team to effectively manage occupancy & rate, wages and controllable expenses.
• Reviews the Wage Progress Report and compares budgeted wages to actual wages, coaching direct reports to address problem areas and holds team accountable for results.
• Develops an operational strategy that is aligned with the brand’s business strategy and leads its execution.
• Makes and executes key decisions to keep property moving forward towards achievement of goals.
Managing Property Operations
• Strives to improve service performance.
• Communicates a clear and consistent message regarding operational goals to produce desired results on a continuous basis.
• Ensures brand and regional business initiatives are implemented and communicates follow-up actions to team as necessary.
• Ensures core elements of the service strategy are in place to produce the desired results.
• Tours building on a regular basis speaking with associates and guests to understand business needs and assess operational opportunities.
Leading Property Operations Teams
• Establishes a vision for product and service delivery on property.
• Champions the brand’s service vision for product and service delivery and ensuring alignment amongst the property leadership team.
When you join Marriott International, the world’s largest hospitality company, you will enjoy unlimited career opportunities; discounted hotel rates for you, your friends and your family; a 20% food and beverage discount in Marriott hotels, a 50% discount in our One Square Restaurant & Bar; a complimentary meal on duty; laundry of your business wear; a complimentary car park space, private medical insurance, pension bonus and membership of ONE SPA; plus an environment where your development is our priority.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.
When you join the Sheraton family, you become a member of its global community. We’ve been a place to gather and connect since 1937. At Sheraton, associates create a sense of belonging in more than 400 communities around the world. We welcome guests through engaging experiences and thoughtful service. If you’re a team player who is excited to deliver a meaningful guest experiences, we encourage you to explore your next career opportunity with Sheraton.